History of the John K. McNeill SCV Camp #674-Moultrie, Georgia
The current SCV Camp #674 in Moultrie was re-chartered from a defunct camp that closed down during the great depression. Our number came from their camp.
The date on our charter is 21 September 1987, although we held our chartering ceremony Saturday, 21 January 1988, at the Old Greenfield Church (established circa 1850) with founding Commander, Jack Bridwell, Jr.
Our first public function was for Confederate Memorial Day observance on 24 April 1988 with the presentation of a Real Daughter’s pen to Mrs. Susie Taylor Herring. She passed away in 2001 and is still wearing this pen.
Our first Lee/Jackson Day celebration was held 20 January 1989 in conjunction with the Albany & Quitman SCV Camps.
May 1989 was our first CSA Headstone ceremony to honor Timothy Lanier, a 17 year old soldier who died of typhoid fever two weeks after leaving for the war. His body was brought back home for burial in the Shade Murphy Private Cemetery. His grave had been unmarked for 128 years until our service.
In March 1990, we began a living history event to benefit Old Greenfield Church portraying its own history beginning circa 1850s with descendants of the founding pioneers. After five years, we dedicated a historical marker complete with text (and SCV emblem) telling the story of the site which includes the fact that it was used as a recruiting station and a field hospital during the War Between the States.
June 1990 brought the Moultrie SCV into participating with the UDC at the annual event at the Jefferson Davis Memorial Park, Irwinville, Georgia at the park director’s request, Mrs. Mary Ann Powell. This led to the Georgia Division taking up this support for the park until the state took back operations in 1997.
September of 1997 was our first living history benefit for a second historical site, Old Bethel Primitive Baptist Church, established September 2, 1826. The present building was constructed circa 1860-61. With only six members, our event provides them needed operational monies.
Forty-seven Confederate Veterans are buried there. Each year they are honored with a candlelight memorial service. We have excellent participation and support from all area camps at this event.
In June 1995, we helped co-host the 98th SCV Georgia Division Reunion in Albany/Radium Springs, Georgia
Beginning back in October of 1996, our annual fund raiser booth is manned at the Sunbelt Agriculture Expo in Moultrie, North America’s largest farm show. It amounts to three days of hard work for the camp, but those that visit the Expo and our booth love our CSA related merchandise.
During the Expo event the camp shares information from a computerized Confederate Ancestor database, allowing searches free of charge. It’s inspiring to see the interest citizens have when they are researching and finally discover their Confederate roots.
On 24 April 1999, we held our Confederate Memorial Service coinciding with the opening of the Colquitt County’s Museum of History. At this event we unveiled a handsome colonial style framed memorial listing the names of the 77 Colquitt County War Between the States casualties.
This memorial is housed in the museums Confederate Room. Our Camp continues to hold our monthly meetings at the museum the second Monday night of the month. The camp also continues to contribute items to enhance the displays in the Confederate Room.
In June 2002 our camp hosted the 105th Reunion of the Georgia Division of SCV. Part of this reunion was the ceremony to dedicate 77 engraved square bricks with listing the names of Colquitt County’s known WBTS casualties set in at the Confederate Monument on the courthouse lawn. This is a long over due tribute to our brave ancestors.
On October 20, 2207 Camp 674 celebrated its 20th anniversary of formation.