The John K. McNeill SCV Camp 674 of Moultrie, Georgia has begun the process of rebuilding and restoring the most significant piece of Confederate history in the area of Colquitt County. We would like to give a brief synopsis of this area and why we feel it deserves the efforts of the Georgia Division for the Sons of Confederate Veterans.
The area of Greenfield was established in or about 1848 and was a centralized hub of activity before and during the WBTS. The town of Greenfield was unique because of 2 types of businesses that were established prior to the WBTS. Those were a barrel factory and also a wool processing factory.
The Confederate Naval Department needed barrels in which to pack meat, flour and other provisions to be transported to the soldiers in the field.
Wool was also needed to be woven to make winter clothes and blankets for the soldiers. Under the Confederate Sequestration Act of 1863 the barrel factory was confiscated and placed under the control of the Confederate Navy. When the Confederate Government established recruiting centers throughout the south and place doctors at each one to examine the recruits, Greenfield served as a recruiting station for the men in Colquitt and Thomas counties respectively.
During the war, the church at Greenfield also served as a field hospital for injured soldiers coming back to the Greenfield community. The original cemetery has been known as the “Old Confederate Cemetery” and numerous Confederates are buried there.
The purpose of our camp in this project is the restoration of the roof structure of a log cabin that currently sits on this historic property. This pioneer log cabin was built in 1881 by John Plymel whose father, Zion Plymel, fought in Company E, 50th Regiment, Georgia Volunteer Infantry.
The current roof must be replaced to prevent the entire structure from total collapse. The money John K. McNeill SCV Camp 674 seeks is to fund and replace the current wooden roof with a new metal roof that will still resemble the current wood pattern but give us a roof that will be weatherproof and sustainable for many years to come.
The interior of the cabin is in remarkable shape and therefore our focus is on the restoration of the exterior. The members of the John K. McNeill SCV Camp 674 will be responsible for the removal of the current roof and adding the framework to stabilize the current structure. All other exterior work planned for this project is being derived from private and member donations.
The members of John K. McNeill SCV Camp 674 intend to use this site for educational purposes to enlighten and teach our local youth through re-enactments and living history events. Upon completion of this project, we intend to partner with churches, civic groups, and local school organizations to tell the true story of the Confederacy and to celebrate Greenfield’s role in our heritage.
Our camp believes that the only way to truly live the charge is to pass on the principles that every Confederate soldier believed and cherished.
In closing, the John K. McNeill SCV Camp 674 was chartered at Greenfield over 20 years ago and looks at Greenfield as an opportunity to teach the public and the youth our message of the confederacy. In fact, the church building has the same bricks that were made across the street over 150 years ago when it was built.
Greenfield is a testimony to the will and determination that the people of the Confederacy so cherished. After 150 years this structure still stands and with the help of the members of the John K. McNeill SCV Camp 674 and the Georgia Division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans we will continue to maintain this important area in our heritage.